Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Catholic Faith

Last Sunday, out little group here in New York went to mass at a Catholic church. It was an interesting experience that I will not soon forget but it did get me thinking about the Catholic Faith. I found myself wondering if a catholic person is a true Christian. Yes, they believe in Jesus Christ who died for us and took our place on that cross, but the way that Catholics go about there faith is just all wrong to me.

At mass, everything was scripted. And I mean everything. Every prayer was written down, it was so impersonal it was crazy. How can you have a relationship with God if everything you say to him is just something that you memorized as a child or from a piece of paper that is sitting in front of you?

Another thing, did you know in the bible, the LORD said that "you shall call no one on Earth' father' for you have on Father, and he is in heaven"(Matthew 23:9)? So, the Catholic Faith says that I am suppose to call the priest 'father' but is that not in direct contradiction to the word of God?

Did you know that the Bible, that is the WORD OF GOD, actually calls the Catholic's hypocritical liars?

1 Timothy 4:1-6 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer. If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed.

Who are not allowed to be married? Nuns and Priests. Who are not allowed to eat meat on Fridays during Lent? Catholics. It is right there, clear as crystal in the Living Word that that is wrong and that the Catholic Faith is following deceiving spirits. Why would God say it is now okay to eat pork BUT now you cannot eat meat on Fridays. It is comprehensible to think that God would contradict himself in such a manner.

Also, could someone please show me where in the bible it says that I should pray to Mary for intervention? Or, where it says that I need to go to my priest so I can obtain forgiveness through him? Last time I checked, the only way that I could obtain forgiveness was through JESUS CHRIST!! And I can talk directly to him. I do not need someone to talk to Him for me.

Guess what? Last time I checked, the ten Commandments forbid Idolatry (the worship of Idols). Can someone tell me what the Pope is? Can someone tell me what Mary is? These are both Idols that the Catholics have built up in such high esteem. The bible clearly states that no man on this Earth shall be built up to be bow downed to or to worship.

Well thats what I have at the moment. Are Catholics real Christians? I'm not sure, but I do know that the way they are practicing their faith is not the way it is suppose to be. Don't take my word for it, God is the one who said it.

3 comments:

  1. Careful, Jordan -- your Italian neighbors might kick your backside if they read this! ;-)

    Catholics aren't the only Christians who fail to fully live their doctrine. Some Lutherans still don't get the idea of salvation by grace. Some Christians still covet and think wealth is a sign of God's favor (cf. prosperity gospel).

    I wonder: how would a Catholic priest answer your questions about Catholic worship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...tell us how you really feel. :-D I think you're asking valid questions about traditions of a church, BUT I know people who are believers and are Catholic. I don't understand how they reconcile some of their beliefs to the Word of God, but I think we'll all be a little surprised about something when we get to Heaven. It's awesome that you're examining these issues. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting points Jordan. I’m not much of a doctrinal stickler. My opinion is that being a catholic is a great fit for some people, and people are working through God in many religions even outside of the Christian community and a lot of good is being done. It seems like you have a lot of questions and you should keep asking them.

    ReplyDelete