Friday, January 8, 2010

NeW yOrK dAy 2



So many people. When one first thinks about New York, the thought of the overwhelming amount of people is usually the first thought the flurries through the mind; at least for me that is true. The funny thing is that the city is not as crowded as I was expecting it to be. Sure there are a lot of people, but I was expecting butt to crotch packedness throughout the entire city and it just is not like that.

I believe I literally walked 5 miles or more yesterday and my legs are killing me right now. There are almost no obese people in the Manhattan area for that reason, because you have to practically walk everywhere you go. It is killer on the legs, but I am pretty sure I will be in the best shape of my life when i get back to the Dakotas.

Yesterday our little group handed out sandwiches to people on the streets. These people were the bottom of the bottom. Most living in little places that the government paid for and some in fact had no homes at all. But there was one lady in particular that really caught my eye. I did not catch her name but she was a pretty broad and tall black lady with an infectious smile. She was in line to get a sandwich like everyone else, but she would talk to every person in that line and gave every single person a hug. When she saw someone on the street she would ask them if they wanted one or how they were doing and she was always going up to the people and making sure everyone who needed a sandwich got one, even if it ment that she would not get a second one. I thought it was incredibly inspiring!!

'Til Tomorrow,
Jordan N.

No comments:

Post a Comment